Korg Wavestate Digital Wave Sequencing Synthesizer
The KORG wavestate wave sequencing synthesizer is now available at Dirt Cheep. The compact synth expands on KORG’s legendary Wavestation, adding Wave Sequencing 2.0, the next step in digital synthesis. Far from a nostalgic reissue, the wavestate was designed from the ground up by KORG R&D in California. It takes cues from sources as diverse as modular synths, groove boxes and algorithmic composition, delivering astonishing, ever-changing sounds with extensive hands-on control.
This synth ships direct from Korg and is typically not in stock at the Smyrna store.
KORG wavestate Main Features
- Wave Sequencing 2.0 with independent control of time, sequence and melody
- 37 velocity-/release-velocity-sensitive keys with programmable Mod Knobs and more
- 64 stereo voices, 240 Performances, 740 Programs and 1,000 Wave Sequences
- Run 14 simultaneous effects, including compressors, EQs, modulation, delays and more
Wave Sequencing 2.0With Wave Sequencing on the original Wavestation, each step of a wave sequence had a duration, a sample and a pitch. While this created ear-catching patterns, the sequence repeated the same way, over and over. The wavestate’s radically re-imagined Wave Sequencing 2.0 splits apart the timing, the sequence of samples and the melody. Instead of just repeating, this allows each to be manipulated independently and evolve in organic, unexpected ways.
The KORG wavestate also incorporates “Lanes.” Individual Lanes include shapes, gate times and step sequencer values. Each of the Lanes can have a different number of steps and their own start, end and loop points. Every time the sequence moves forward, the Lanes combine to create the output.
Lanes can also randomize the step order every time they play, with real-time control over the range of included steps. Individual steps can be randomly skipped, with a modulatable probability from 0–100%. A sample may be matched with a different duration, pitch, shape, gate length and step sequence values every time it plays. The result is more spontaneous, ever-changing sounds that respond to your control. The four onboard arpeggiators can also interact with wave sequences for even more possibilities.
Hands-on Control, Real-Time ExpressionThe wavestate synth’s compact form-factor, with 37 full-size keys, fits nicely onto any stage, studio or desktop setup. Plus, the wavestate is loaded with knobs and controls that invite you to explore. Dedicated front-panel controls put all of the basics—including filter, envelopes, LFOs and effects—at your fingertips. Eight programmable Mod Knobs let you get the most of every sound and venture into unexpected sonic territories. Use the knobs on the fly and also save the results as new sounds. Add in the Pitch Bend and Modulation Wheels and the unique Vector Joystick, and you’ll always have multiple dimensions of real-time expression.
If you’d like to explore even deeper, almost all front-panel knobs—and most on-screen parameters—can be modulated. You can even modulate settings for individual Wave Sequence Steps. Mod Processors let you alter modulation signals using quantization, smoothing, curvature and more. For even more spur-of-the-moment inspiration to build-on, the dedicated front-panel button, marked by a dice icon, generates new sounds through intelligent randomization. This randomizes the entire sound or just a part of it, such as the filter, Sample Lane or effects.
64 Stereo Voices and a Wealth of SamplesThe wavestate lets you play up to 64 stereo voices with vivid clarity using KORG’s unique anti-aliasing sample playback technology. The wavestate also offers gigabytes of sounds with a sample library over a thousand times larger than the original Wavestation. There’s a bank of samples from Plugin Guru, brand-new samples from KORG, and a selection from the Kronos and Krome libraries. Plus, KORG also provides all of the original Wavestation samples and a huge library of Wavestation Wave Sequences.
Modeled Filters and an Arsenal of EffectsThe wavestate synth from KORG features modern and old-school-style filters and an array of inspiring effects. Add vintage character to your sounds with the wavestate. Use its aggressive MS-20 Lowpass or Highpass filters, or the strong yet sweet Polysix Lowpass. Shape and refine with a full collection of resonant 2-pole and 4-pole Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass, and Band Reject filters. Or, step outside the box with KORG’s distinct Multi Filter, which creates modulatable blends of multiple modes.
The wavestate’s selection of effects deliver production-ready sounds. Each Layer has three dedicated effects and the Performance has a master reverb and parametric EQ. Of course, wavestate has all the standards, such as compressors, EQs, choruses, flangers, phasers and stereo delays. But you’ll also find unique processors, such as the Wave Shaper, Talking Modulator, Reverse Delay, Multiband Mod Delay and Overb (from the OASYS). Plus, there are modeled effects, including VOX guitar amps and wah, multi-head tape echo, and a collection of classic guitar pedals.
For even more complex results, layer up to four Programs together in a Performance—each with their own effects and arpeggiator. The Vector Envelope and Joystick mix the individual voices of the four Layers, and can also modulate any other parameter.
- Wave Sequencing 2.0
- Extensive modulation with hands-on control
- Gigabytes of samples
- Modeled filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
- 64 stereo voices
- 4 Layers with Vector control
- 14 simultaneous effects
- Set Lists and Smooth Sound Transitions
- Compact. Great design. 37 full-size keys.
- Designed by Korg R&D in California
- 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Sound generating system:
- Wave Sequencing 2.0
- Maximum Polyphony:
- 64 stereo voices
- Ships with over 240 Performances, 740 Programs, and 1,000 Wave Sequences
- Storage for tens of thousands of user Performances
- Performance: 4 Layers, Reverb, EQ; all edits are stored in the Performance, DAW-style (saving as separate Programs, Wave Sequences etc. is supported but not required)
- Layer: Program, Arpeggiator, Key and Velocity Zones
- Program: Wave Sequence, Filter, Amp, Pre FX, Mod FX, Delay
- 2-pole LPF, 2-pole HPF, 2-pole BPF, 2-pole Band Reject, 4-pole LPF, 4-pole HPF, 4-pole BPF, 4-pole Band Reject, Multi Filter, MS-20 LPF, MS-20 HPF, Polysix
- Controllers: Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Vector Joystick X/Y, 8x Program/Performance Mod Knobs
- Other Sources: 3x Envelopes, Vector Envelope, 3x LFOs, 2x Mod Processors, 2x Key Track, Step Sequencer Lane, Step Pulse, Tempo, Program/Performance Note Count, Program/Performance Voice Count, Poly Legato, Velocity, Exponential Velocity, Release Velocity, Gate/Gate+Damper, Note-On Trigger/Note-On Trigger+Damper, Note Number, Aftertouch/Poly Aftertouch (external MIDI only), MIDI CCs +/-, MIDI CCs +
- Destinations: Most parameters can be modulated, including parameters of individual Wave Sequence Steps. Depending on Wave Sequence length, there can be more than 1,000 potential modulation targets per Program.
- Pre FX: Decimator, Graphic EQ, Guitar Amp, Modern Compressor, Parametric EQ, Red Compressor, Ring Modulator, Tremolo, Wave Shaper
- Mod FX: Black Chorus/Flanger, Black Phase, CX-3 Vibrato Chorus, EP Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Modern Chorus, Modern Phaser, Orange Phase, Polysix Ensemble, Small Phase, Talking Modulator, Vintage Chorus, Vintage Flanger, Vintage/Custom Wah, Vox Wah
- Delay: L/C/R Delay, Multiband Mod Delay, Reverse Delay, Stereo/Cross Delay, Tape Echo
- Reverb: Early Reflections, Overb
- Performance EQ: 4-band parametric EQ
- Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack)
- OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks)
- DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack)
- MIDI IN and OUT connectors
- USB B port
- AC adapter (DC12V, 2500mA)
- 5 W
- Dimensions (W × D × H):
- 565 × 338 × 93 mm/22.24” × 13.31” × 3.66”
- 2.9 kg/6.93 lbs.
- AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide
Accessories (sold separately)
- DS-1H damper pedal, PS-1 pedal switch, PS-3 pedal switch
- * All product, company, and standard names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- * Appearance and specifications of products are subject to change without notice.